Friday, June 11, 2010

Last Night in Kof-Town

During the last few days, I have realized I will be very sorry to be leaving Koforidua, which surprises me since it hasn't been the source of most of the trip's excitement. Yet as I sit on my makeshift bed (couch cushions laid out over a wooden bed frame) and listen to the Friday evening (ie early Saturday morning) music easing the town into the weekend, I realize how accustomed I have come to the office and the town. No longer is it a chore to run to grab something at the store or the market. I enjoy being hailed "obrohni" in a half-mocking, half-friendly voice every time I pass a storefront. Hell, I don't even mind waking up from heat and noise at 7:30 every morning. It really hasn't taken long to feel at home here.

This realization makes me a little bit remorseful that we leave so soon, but I am also excited for our last driving adventure in Ghana. Tomorrow (technically today) we leave once again bright and early for Cape Coast, a more touristy but by all accounts beautiful beach in southwestern Ghana. We have a day and a half there before we have to head back to Accra to fly home on Monday. Naturally, we had planned to leave Thursday to thoroughly enjoy Cape Coast, make a day trip to the nearby stilt village, and relax before heading home, but complications arose at work; naturally our commitment to doing things the right way and finishing what we started overrode our strong desire to escape to the beach.

Debi and I are both proud of the work we've done at Burro and we're excited to continue to track and potentially contribute to the future of the company. Their vision is strong and the goal is both noble and profitable; a great combination on which to found a company. And now, hopefully for good, they have some damn sound financials and bookkeeping methods, if I do say so myself. We were even kind enough to clean off our usually paper-strewn workspace before we left.

At any rate, this is me signing off the blog, potentially until we reach our hotel in London. I'm going to get some sleep before I have to get up at 5 AM and drive a stick shift for the third time in my life. I will leave you loyal readers (probably all of whom I'm related to by blood at this point) with one tidbit that I left out from last post...

The last day we spend in Kumasi, Debi wore two different flip-flops entirely on accident. The entire day. You may wonder how that's possible, and to be honest so would I if it weren't Debi. But she "forgot to change the other one," as if changing a pair of shoes is two separate activities. So aside from being a clueless bumbling set of obrohnis, our leader (in the literal sense but certainly not in title or spirit) was wearing one fancier brown suede flip-flop and one cheap blue beach flip flop. For eight hours. It may be a 'you have to have been there kind of thing' or maybe a 'you have to know Debi' kind of thing, of which there are many. But then again anyone who's been reading the blog pretty much does know her at this point...

Oh and she really really wanted me to let everyone know that she's 51 as of yesterday. Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. Am positive she wanted everyone to know! You keep chasing me! J

    ReplyDelete